I collect lots of yummy, healthy recipes from Pinterest. It makes me feel like I'm a healthy eater, a dieter and a lover of earthy natural foods.... but have I tried any of them? NOPE. So I decided this week to try a few recipes because they look soooo good and all of the blogs have raving comments, "Oh your food is the best!", "My husband loved this meal! Will make again soon!", "The ONLY way I can get my kids to eat their veggies!"....etc.
First I tried Kale Chips
They Passed the test. Dan would even eat them. Charlie liked them but they are soooo delicate, airy and crispy that he would crunch them like "Lennie Small" when he picked them up and there would be tiny green speckles everywhere. If I were to post a comment on a cooking blog, it would say, "Yay, my whole family loved these! My kid ate greens blah, blah, blah!"
Recipe:
One bunch of Kale of your choice
Olive Oil
Sea Salt
Garlic Powder (Optional..I added this for some extra flavor to mask the Kale taste but it wasn't needed)
After you have rinsed and removed any thick stems (I think of it like de-boning?) dry your Kale off and spread it on a pan. Spray or brush with Olive oil. Sprinkle a small amount of sea salt and/or seasoning of choice.
Bake on 350 for 10-15 minutes or until edges have slightly tanned but not burnt. If you take it out and any of the leaves are flimsy, put them back in for a few minutes. They should be very light and crispy, and yummy too. No dipping sauces for these though, they're way too delicate for that.
Now for the FAIL!! Baked Vegetarian Eggrolls. I made these for Dan when I wasn't going to be home so that he could just pop em in the oven. Slaved in the kitchen for an hour and a half making the filling (which was actually yummy) wrapped and placed them on a cookie sheet all ready for him. I thought it was a nice thing to do since I was going shopping. Next thing I know, I get a call, "Where are you?" Uh oh. I could tell what was coming next..."Thanks for making these but...they're weird. Like soggy and undercooked, but over cooked too. And only one side turned brown, even though I rotated them." etc. He wanted me to pick up Jack in the Box instead. When I got home I took a bite of one and wanted to barf, I threw them straight into the trash. BLEH!!! Sorry but you can not bake eggrolls. The wrap tasted like an uncooked spaghetti noodle. Crunchy as in stale not as in crisp.And they were soggy and just plain nasty. Followed the directions step by step. Now I'm hesitant to make any more of the recipes with the yummy pics on Pinterest. Maybe in a few weeks.
Summer 2019
-
This was the summer of keeping it simple. Lots of pool days, playdates and
trips to the library. The boys were so sweet and patient with their very
...
6 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment